Monday, May 5, 2008

Care For Some Juiced Romaine Hearts?

It was my birthday recently and Mark bought me a juicer from Breville (www.breville.com) and I’ve been juicing like a green maniac ever since. The verdict: Juice is highly energizing, just be careful of how many beets you use!

Among many other things, I’ve juiced oranges, spinach, romaine hearts, and beets (now I know to use no more than half of one unless I acquire a taste for dirt). Everything I use is organic and I drink the juice first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. It’s like a shot of pure energy.

Here’s the recipe for the juice I made today (all fruits and vegetables are organic):
1” ginger
2 carrots
1 lemon (I zest it first and freeze the zest)
1 lime (same note about the zest)
2 small apples
1 bunch of kale
½ small red beet
½ cucumber

The color of this juice is ruby and the apples give it sweetness, the ginger gives it heat, and the citrus cuts through any “green” flavor. I love it and highly recommend it. Oh, and here’s my secret: Juice tastes best when it’s really cold so I serve mine over ice. One last thing: I compost everything that's left in the juicer.

Question of the blog: If you have one, what's your favorite juice recipe?

No comments: